Cork Midsummer Festival and Sample-Studios Cork are delighted to announce an open call for their Emerging Artist Award. The purpose of this new award is to offer a meaningful platform and project development opportunity for visual artists who are from or based in Cork and at the early stages of their career as part of one of Ireland’s largest multidisciplinary festivals. This Award will support a visual artist to present new installation, film-based and/or performative work at Cork Midsummer Festival, June 2024.
In 2023, Cork-based Japanese artist and Sample-Studios member Seiko Hayase was given the inaugural Emerging Artist Award. Her installation ‘Egg- Collection of Emotions’ was presented in the Marina Market throughout the Cork Midsummer Festival, alongside street performances of her work ‘Creepy Parade’ in three sites throughout the City, to rapturous crowds.
This call is open to emerging visual artists who are from or based in Cork and identify as being in the early stages of their career.
The Award comprises:
- €2000 bursary
- 9 month Associate Membership with Sample-Studios
- Provision of Sample-Studios Project Space for 3 weeks of development
- Production and promotional support from Cork Midsummer Festival
Applicants must submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘Emerging Artist Award Application’ by September 28th at 4pm:
- Artist CV
- Artist Statement (Max 500 words)
- Link to artist website (if relevant)
- Up to 5 images/stills of work (minimum 300 dpi)
- An outline of the idea you intend to develop as part of Cork Midsummer Festival (Max 500 words). If you wish to illustrate your proposal with up to 2 concept drawings, you may but this is not necessary.